Tuesday, July 16, 2013

shop assistants

'You haven't thought about this, have you?' my sister asked me when I told her the story about my and Hugo's visit at the florist's. I must admit I'm quite fond of shopping, true it does depend on the items I need to buy, but in general as long as I can afford it, why not?

A few days ago we went with Hugo to one of the florist's to buy some plants and shrubs for our garden. As usual, we were using English and Hugo was asking his favorite question: Mommy what is it? pointing at the same time at various plants, flowers and bushes. Patiently, as much as I was able to explain I gave him the names of the plants. The shop assistants were so astonished hearing English in their shop that they were even afraid to approach us and serve us. Their 'dance' around us lasted about 10 minutes before finally, I asked one of them if we could be served. Seeing him relived that I spoke Polish made me laugh inside but I showed now signs of being amused. We bought what we wanted and left.
Once I told my sister about this she grinned and said: You haven't thought about it that the shop assistants might be afraid of serving you due to their lack of knowledge of English, have you? 
Indeed, I haven't thought about that yet at least our son will never be one of those afraid to speak English and that is going to be his huge advantage over others;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment